Monday, April 25, 2011

Family Crazy

I just spent a few hours decompressing with a couple of girlfriends after a long holiday weekend.  We sat at a local restaurant, ate a little food, had a cocktail, and told our individual sob stories.  We nodded our heads in agreement, cursed the mistakes our parents made, and swore we'd do better by our children.  (When we all know that in 25 years they will be sitting around complaining about all the mistakes we made)

One common thread that weaved through all of our stories was the thought that our families were crazy.  You know what I mean, right? Not clinically crazy, but CrAzY!!!!!  Stories of unfaithful in-laws, aging, addiction, complicated sibling relationships, mental illness, Daddy issues, and everything else you can imagine abounded.  And there were only three of us at the table.  And the holiday weekend was only two days long.

While sharing my bit of CrAzY, I realized that as crazy as my family was and as much as they drove me nuts, I wouldn't trade them for anything.   Their's is a crazy I know (and love) and have come to count on in some way.  And as bad as I think I have it "it's not as bad as she has it..." is a thought that I'm sure each one of us had at some point during the night.   I think the Powers that Be never give us more than we can handle, and never put us in a family that we can't survive.  So embrace your family, you were put in it for a reason, and here's the newsflash:  You are just as CrAzy as the rest of them!  (At least I know I am)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment